» Work Experience «
Publications Editor, University of California, Riverside
(April 2o12 to present)
The University of California, Riverside (www.ucr.edu) is a doctoral research university, a living laboratory for groundbreaking exploration of issues critical to Inland Southern California, the state and communities around the world. Reflecting California’s diverse culture, UCR’s enrollment exceeds 21,000 students.
- Editor of UCR Magazine, the university magazine with a circulation of 100,000 for faculty, students, staff and UCR constituents
- Created UCR Magazine online, http://magazine.ucr.edu
- Editor of Inside UCR, the staff and faculty newsletter for 4,000 staff and faculty members http://ucrtoday.ucr.edu/inside-ucr
Music Editor, OC Weekly
(April 2010 to April 2012)
Village Voice Media’s alt-weekly publication in Orange County with 100,000 circulation.
- Produced the music section weekly
- Edited and wrote the daily music blog Heard Mentality, featuring music news, reviews, interviews and previews
- Managed an upward of 10 freelancers
Project Manager/Curator of Remix: Santiago Bose, http://santiagobose.org
(2008 – March 2010)
Spearheaded a three-month exhibit that opened Feb. 2010 at the Yuchengco Museum in the Philippines.
Writer, MKE Magazine, http://mkeonline.com
(Oct. 2006 to July 2008)
Milwaukee’s under-35 tabloid published by The Journal-Sentinel (circulation: 455,862).
- Wrote cover stories, personal profiles and covered the arts/entertainment beat.
- Oversaw Blog Party, a group blog about Milwaukee’s music and nightlife
Assistant Features Editor in charge of Entertainment, The Press-Enterprise (Dec. 2004 to Oct. 2006)
The biggest newspaper in the Inland Empire, California (circulation: 190,000).
- Chose, edited and assigned stories and art (local and wire) for the daily Showtime section, the TV page and the weekly Teen Page
- Produced live special sections for events such as the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, the Academy Awards and others.
- Supervised two to three senior reporters and 15 teen correspondents.
- Wrote a daily column, “Your Daily Fives,” about things to do around Southern California, and promoted the section heavily at newspaper events, movie and tv commercials and radio appearances.
Assistant Editor, Law Office Computing Magazine (May 2004 to Dec. 2004)
- Edited and collected independent reviews of legal technology
- Wrote news articles for LOC and its sister publication, Legal Assistant Today.
- Copy-edited the magazines throughout the production cycle.
Features Editor, Seventeen Magazine Philippines (July 2000 to June 2003)
The Philippine edition of Seventeen (circulation: 40,000)
- Created editorial line-ups for sections including entertainment, college and boys.
- Produced situation and fashion shoots.
- Wrote, edited and coordinated major stories; worked with contributors.
- Conceptualized section layouts with art directors
- Localized content from the US magazine for the Filipino market.
- Produced synergy of print, Web and wireless material for the magazine.
- Created special sections such as â€œBoys of Summerâ€ and â€œGetting into Collegeâ€
Editor-in-Chief, Water Sports Issue, Petron Rover (2nd quarter 2003)
Petron Rover (circulation: 50,000) is a free travel magazine published for Petron Corporation.
- Created editorial lineup. Managed a core team of five people and worked with more than 20 writers, stylists and photographers.
Assistant Editor, Go! Travel Magazine (November 1999 to June 2000)
- Created editorial lineups such as â€œBest Beachesâ€ and â€œAdventure Travel.â€
- Managed contributors
- Wrote, edited, oversaw layout of content.
- Produced advertorial sections for various clients
Writer and Content Editor, eMerge Network Technology Solutions (September 1998 to October 1999)
A company that developed intranets and virtual private networks for the Asian Development Bank, a finance institution in Asia and the Pacific.
» Contributor «
Myspace (2014 to present)
PureVolume (2012 to 2013)
LA Weekly (2009 to 2013)
Village Voice (2009 to 2013)
Spin Magazine (2007)
NWA World Traveler (2007)
Mabuhay Magazine (2006)
Inflight Travel magazine of Philippine Airlines
DiningOut Magazine (2004)
High-end restaurant reviews in California, New Jersey, Denver, Colorado and Miami.
SeAir Magazine (2003)
Inflight travel magazine of the Southeast Asian Airlines.
Asian Diver Magazine (2002 to 2003)
One of the world’s biggest diving magazines, based in Singapore.
Asiaweek Magazine (March 2001 to December 2001)
International news and business magazine for Asia, an affiliate of Time, Inc.
Cosmopolitan Magazine Philippines (2000 to 2003)
Franchise of the biggest selling women’s magazine in the world
FHM Magazine Philippines (2000 to 2003)
Local franchise with the fifth biggest circulation for FHM all over the world.
Philippine Daily Inquirer (1997 to 2003)
Biggest daily broadsheet in the Philippines.
» Education «
BA English, Major in Creative Writing (cum laude)
University of the Philippines, Diliman